Over the years I’ve found weapons are a great avenue for my boys to learn about history. The evolution of technology and weapons is helpful for placing events in chronological order. It’s amazing how intertwined technological advancements are with military conquest. Sometimes armies are just better at utilizing new technologies, but quite frequently research is funded solely for military purposes.
I thought you might be interested to see part of our learning path for this semester. I mapped out the paths that were relevant to our current project. It’s purposefully a bit messy to illustrate the non-linear nature of interest led learning.
Given our current interest in ancient history, we decided our project should have something to do with onagers or ballista. (Trust me before having boys I had no idea what the difference was between a trebaucht and catapult. I certainly would not have been able to correctly describe a ballista or onager.) A search of the library system lead me to The Art of Catapults. I placed a hold but we weren’t able to pick it up until Tuesday. That left us a bit short on planning and build time during our official Engineers Week. No big deal we will just continue into next week.
The boys were so impressed with The Art of Catapults we ordered our own copy of the book within a few hours. We decided to make a model sized wooden ballista for C and a pair of large PVC “Stone Thrower” catapults to launch water balloons at each other.
Wednesday we did the shopping which was a good experience for the boys. They found all the pieces and loaded the carts. They also loaded the car while I questioned my sanity.
I purchased a special PVC pipe cutting tool, which I managed to destroy it in just two cuts. Then we used a saw. The boys were somewhat helpful with the hacksaw, but it was taking forever. My husband came home and hooked us up with his reciprocating saw. Yeah, power tools for mom! The cuts went much quicker on day two and we got about halfway finished cutting and dry fitting.
I’m hoping we will have things completed in a few days and enough warm weather to do some enjoyable testing. I’ll keep you posted on how this project comes along.